To stay ahead of the curve while raising capital for your company, you need to be highly motivated. There’s just no way around it. And, as you all know, fundraising and looking for investment, especially in the alternative investment field, can wear you down, if you’re not careful. Staying sharp, focused, and driven are critical to keeping to task and hitting your goals. But how do you keep focused in a world with so many distractions, so many important deadlines, and so much stress? While it’s not easy, it is possible, if you maintain good habits.
Here are 5 great ways to keep you highly motivated and driven while raising investment capital, and just working in general.
- Empathize With Those Around You. In order to work well with a team, and connect with your target investors, you need to understand where they’re coming from first. In order to successfully start raising capital, you need everyone on the same page. If you feel like you’re struggling to connect with those around you, chances are, you’re not putting yourself in their shoes. Listen more. Put yourself in their position, and try to see all sides of every decision. If your roles were reversed, would you feel the same way? If you learn how to think like those around you, it’s much easier to motivate them, and in turn keep yourself on track, and on target.
- Move on From Mistakes Quickly. When raising capital, nothing seems to slow you down more than dwelling on the past. You’re going to make mistakes, that’s a given. What’s not a given is how you react to them. Mistakes can be great learning tools if you don’t let emotions or self-doubt distract you from your goal. Admitting that you made a mistake is also important, and taking responsibility for turning an error into a success is a true sign of a good leader. The quicker you move in a positive direction, the better results you’ll see.
- Create a Strong Network of Support. In order to be a leader, and motivate yourself and others, you need a good level of support around you. Raising capital is a team effort, across the board. Picking the right people to work with is critical to maintaining your drive and future success. Having people in your corner who believe in you, are honest with you, and will offer their time and effort to support you is incredibly helpful in achieving your goals. Their belief in you, and encouragement to push on, can be a huge motivator when you’re struggling, or even when you’re on top of your game. No one can do it alone, no matter how smart or motivated you think you are.
- Come Up With a Plan B, C, and D. There’s an old adage that goes “if at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again.” This is especially true in raising capital for your company. Chances are, even your best-laid plan will run into some speed bumps, but it shouldn’t slow you down, or distract you from the task at hand. The best way to avoid this from the start is to have multiple plans of action. The time you take to develop multiple ideas and strategies is made up in the long run, as you’ll be prepared to change and adapt on the fly. It’s also a great way to practice your critical thinking abilities, as you’ll need to diversify your strategy from day 1.
- Have Fun, and Relax. It may seem simple, it may seem frivolous, but it’s way more important that you may think. Your brain works much better when you’re relaxed, and happy. And you can’t lose sight of this, even when under pressure to succeed. You’ve gotten this far. You’ve got a great company and great ideas. Be happy about it! Stress can be one of the greatest deterrents to motivation. Doubt can be crippling, so why bother with it. Be confident, take a deep breath, and enjoy what you do. Any successful person will tell you that if you don’t like what you do, you shouldn’t do it. If you’re having fun, and living in the moment, you can shape your future the way you want to.