5 Lessons in Leadership to Help Grow Your Business in 2015
Finding inspiration when crowdfunding can be a challenge, especially if you’re not in the right mindset to lead. If you want to be a better leader, there are some clear-cut steps you need to take to get there. A good leader inspires confidence in others, themself, and their business. Not only is becoming a better leader important in creating a company culture with confidence, but also inspires others to trust their investment in you. And that, is a resource you can’t afford to ignore. Want to be a better leader in 2015? Here are 5 sure-fire ways to get started:
- Silence is Golden: Listen before you speak. If you want to be a better leader in 2015, the first step you need to take is to listen more and talk less. It’s easy to fall into the trap of trying to lead by mandating orders, and lecturing people, but the truth is that this may do more harm than good. When you listen to the people around you, more than you talk to them, it shows that you’re confident enough to take advice. It also shows wisdom, and helps people around you relate, because they feel like they’re being heard, and valued. You are much more likely to follow someone if you feel like they appreciate you for it. Listening is a great way to do this.
- Set clear goals, and stick to them. Being a driven leader requires having specific goals, and committing to finishing them on time. If you want to be a better leader, make sure you are very specific about you want, and don’t veer from it. If you’re going the extra mile to reach the finish line, people around you will too. It also shows investors, or others on the outside, that you have both discipline, and are well organized. Both are critical characteristics investors look for when finding a new company or person to get behind.
- Take responsibility for your team. If you want to be a better leader, you need to support your team in the good and the bad. Part of this means to fall on the sword sometimes, even if you’re not personally at fault. As a good team leader, you are responsible for your team’s performance. If they make mistakes, stand up and own it with them. Then work on fixing the issue. You’ll find that this type of responsibility inspires confidence and shows you are willing to sacrifice for them, and they are willing to sacrifice for you.
- Don’t lose your cool. We all have the urge to lose our tempers from time to time, and that’s ok, as long as you don’t act on it. Losing your cool in public can be extremely damaging to your business, and is a great way to inspire doubt in your leadership. If you need to admonish someone, or give the constructive criticism, do it one on one, and be smart about it. Overreacting will not only shut down how someone relates to you, but also make it hard for anyone to listen to you. Emotions and business often don’t mix well, so make sure you stay calm, and stay focused.
- Be the hardest working person in the room. The best way to gain the confidence of anyone, in any industry, is to lead by example. This means, you should be the hardest working person in the room, always. Show up early, stay late, and try not to ask your team to do anything you wouldn’t be willing to do yourself. When people see you working harder than they are, they will take the necessary steps to keep up. It also shows humility and commitment to your company and goals, which are two big tenets of every great leader in business.